APPLY NOW: Full Time Executive Director
Executive Director – Full-time Position
Kenora and Lake of the Woods Regional Community Foundation
The Kenora and Lake of the Woods Regional Community Foundation is a charitable public foundation that enhances the
quality of life in the Kenora and Lake of the Woods Region, by building endowment funds, making effective grants to local
charities and by providing community leadership.
This position serves as the Executive Director of The Lake of the Woods Regional Community Foundation and reports to
the Board of Directors. The Executive Director is responsible for the management and organization of all Community
Foundation activities. Key functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
▪ Governance, Board Administration and Support
▪ Financial Oversight
▪ Fund Development and Donor Engagement / Stewardship
▪ Grantmaking and Annual Granting Program Administration
▪ Marketing, Public Relations & Communications
▪ Strategic Planning, Vision Development and Partnerships
▪ Management and Administration
Duties and Responsibilities
Governance, Board Administration and Support
▪ Work with the Board to develop and implement appropriate governance policies.
▪ Work with the Board to recruit Board members and volunteers and develop and assess the effectiveness of the
▪ To assist the Board in the development of a broad vision that is communicated and reinforced throughout the
▪ To establish Foundation priorities and allocate resources accordingly after consultation with, and approval by, the
▪ Support the Chair, the Board and committee Chairs in their work by assisting in the preparation of agendas and
providing relevant/ supporting information as needed.
▪ Assist in the professional development and training needs of directors
▪ Maintain current knowledge of, and ensure the Foundation is in compliant with all legal requirements of the Canada
Revenue Agency and other applicable legislation
▪ Work with the Treasurer & Finance Committee to ensure appropriate investment and endowment management
policies, appoint and review fund managers and ensure adequate cash flow for granting purposes.
▪ Ensure the completion of monthly financial statements, fund statements and annual audit as required by the Board.
▪ Monitor the performance of the Foundation’s Investment Portfolio.
▪ Provides the Board with regular financial reports
▪ Prepare the annual operation budget
▪ Oversee the work of the Financial Lead
Fund Development and Donor Engagement / Stewardship
▪ Seek out new opportunities to build endowment fund and build the assets of the Foundation.
▪ With the Fund Development Committee develop and manage a multi-year fund development strategy with specific
▪ Develop relationships with professionals to encourage consideration of the foundation in planned giving.
▪ Develop and maintain relationships with agencies/organizations to leverage the Foundation infrastructure and bring
their endowments within the foundation.
▪ Develop and implement policies, procedures, administrative fee guidelines and fund agreements.
▪ Build and maintain strong relationships with donors.
▪ Ensure appropriate reports are provided to donors on their funds.
▪ Implement a donor engagement and stewardship program
Grantmaking and Annual Granting Program Administration
▪ Develop and implement policies, programs, and procedures to attract, review and make grants.
▪ Administer an impactful and accessible grant-making program that offers equal opportunity to all sectors of the
geographical catchment area of the Foundation
▪ Assist in developing guidelines and application forms for the grantmaking program.
▪ Develop and maintain partnerships and/or joint ventures with other non-for-profit organizations.
▪ Collect and maintain signed grant agreements and ensure grant recipients provide impact reports.
▪ Implement and administer a system to evaluate the effectiveness of grants.
Marketing, Public Relations & Communications
▪ Implement a strategic communications plan to build awareness & interest in the foundation potential donors, grant
recipients, public officials, influencers, and advisors.
▪ Attend events & participate in community activities to elevate the foundation profile and build networks.
▪ Make presentations as part public relations efforts in attracting new funds to the Foundation.
▪ Oversees the design, preparation, printing, and distribution of marketing and promotional materials
▪ Oversees the preparation and publication of the annual report
▪ Ensure that the website (update, revise, add content) is maintained and current.
▪ Oversees Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook postings
Strategic Planning, Vision Development & Partnerships
▪ Work with the Board of Directors to update, enhance and implement a vision and multi-year strategic plan for the
▪ Look for and act on initiatives where the foundation can play an aligning, lead role within the community.
▪ Develop mutually beneficial partnerships to support the work of the foundation.
▪ Leverage Community Foundation of Canada and network with peers from similar community foundations for best
practice programs and ideas.
Management And Administration
▪ Ensure an efficient office to serve donors and grantees.
▪ Ensure operating policies and procedures are followed.
▪ Hire and manage contract or permanent staff
▪ Ensure that the general office administration activities are carried out effectively.
▪ Ensure that information requirements are provided in a timely and appropriate manner to stakeholders, including
auditors, board, and media.
▪ Select, supervise, and evaluate operations team and volunteers.
▪ Perform other duties appropriate to the position of Executive Director as may be assigned by the Board.
▪ Post-secondary education or equivalent experience in relevant fields, (senior non-profit management, business
management, marketing, corporate administration, fundraising)
▪ Relevant experience in the non-profit and/or philanthropic sector, including organizational management, granting
making, fundraising and event planning, team building and staff oversight and donor/funder experience
▪ Financial management skills & experience including but not limited to budget preparation, decision-making & reporting
▪ Strong communication skills (verbal and written), organizational skills (analytical and problem solving)
▪ Stellar interpersonal & social skills essential to develop and maintain successful working relationships with grant
recipients, donors, community leaders, volunteers and other charitable organizations
▪ Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegation, supervision, team leadership and development
▪ Experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors & committees
▪ Familiarity with the Community Foundation movement is an asset, knowledge of philanthropic trends
▪ Proficient computer skills
The annual salary for this position will range between $70-$80,000 depending on the skills and experience of the
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume by July 4, 2022
Hiring Committee, Kenora and Lake of the Woods Regional Community Foundation
C/o Dennis Alvestad, President, KLWCF
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.